Walgreens Experimenting With Different Store Prototypes During Remodel Effort
As an ever-evolving industry leader, Walgreens is always attempting to change the retail drug landscape to stay ahead of its competition. The company has rolled out pilot stores in locations across the country, including Las Vegas, Chicago, and Boston. Some so-called ‘flagship’ stores feature sushi bars, smoothie stations, or coffee barista counters. Now, two stores in Tampa and Phoenix are being renovated to further enhance the customer experience on a number of levels.
In the Tampa, FL area, the Walgreens in Seffner will soon debut a brand new store format. One of the biggest changes customers will see is that the pharmacy is now more accessible, much larger, and open. The ‘Well at Walgreens’ store prototype will also feature a number of areas not found in a typical drug store, including:
- A consultative room – used for health tests and vaccinations
- Health Corner – space used to discuss health topics with Walgreens’ pharmacists
- Express RX – a kiosk enabling customers to pay and pick-up refills; also will be integrated with Walgreens.com and Walgreens mobile application
- Health Guide – a ‘concierge’ on the store floor to assist customers finding the products and services
- Health Clinic – also will include Walgreens’ traditional Take Care Clinic on-site
Additionally, fresh sushi and salads will be brought into the store six days a week.
A Walgreens renovation in Phoenix, AZ will also bring new offerings to customers, although the company has not dubbed it a ‘flagship’ location. An enhanced fresh food section will highlight the renovation, while the pharmacy transformation will be similar to that of the Tampa location. The Phoenix location already has a Take Care clinic, and will remain one-story. The core of the pilot store renovations is the health center, which focuses on the aforementioned redesigned pharmacy. They also feature redesigned interior involving the health and beauty departments and nail counters, along with a ‘lighter, brighter’ design.