Industry Updates: Discount and Specialty Stores – January 2013
Apple Inc., announced that Jerry McDougal, VP of Retail, has resigned. The company states that McDougal will be replaced by Jim Bean, who has been serving as the VP Finance.
AutoZone, Inc. announced that Robert D. Olsen, Corporate Development Officer, has retired.
Best Buy Co., Inc., announced that Stephen Gillett, Exec VP, President, Best Buy Digital, has left the company to pursue other career opportunities at a leading technology company, where he currently serves on the Board of Directors. Gillett’s responsibilities have been re-assigned to senior executives across the company, including the company’s Chief Administrative and CFO, Sharon McCollam, its President of Online and Global E-Commerce, Scott Durchslag and Shawn Score, Senior VP of U.S. Retail.
Fred Meyer Stores announced that it has elevated Lynn Gust to be President. He replaces Mike Ellis, who recently was promoted to Senior VP at corporate parent Kroger in Cincinnati.
HSN announced it has appointed Karen Etzkorn to the newly created position of Chief Information Officer.
Meijer has announced the appointment of Mark Murray to the new position of Co-CEO, where he will serve with current CEO Hank Meijer. In the new role, Murray will serve as a partner in the development of future business strategy with Hank Meijer, Doug Meijer and J. K. Symancyk. Murray will also serve as Vice Chairman of the Meijer Board of Directors.
Office Depot announced that Kevin Peters had resigned from his role as President of the retailer’s North American division. Neil Austrian, Office Depot’s Chairman and CEO will now oversee the company’s North American business. The position Peters vacated was newly created for him 18 months ago as part of a larger reorganization of senior management.
RadioShack has filled two top executive positions. Troy Rischl, most recently VP of Stores at Target Corp., has been named Exec VP Operations.
Huey Long, who most recently worked as Global Officer, Senior VP, GMM at Sam’s Club, has been named Exec VP of Strategy and Consumer Insights.
Retail Industry Leaders Association has made changes to its top staff. Former Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us executive Garth Gasse has joined the association as Director of Retail Operations, Asset Protection. Lisa LaBruno has been promoted to Senior VP for Retail Operations.
Sam’s Club announced that Seong Ohm has left Walmart to rejoin Sam’s Club in a new capacity as Senior VP of Merchandise Business Services.
Staples, Inc. announced that John Burke, Senior VP, Business Services, has been named Senior VP, Chief Culture Officer, a newly created role.
Walmart announced more than a dozen executive position and responsibility changes in its merchandising organization following a considerable restructuring:
- John Aden was named to the new role as Exec VP of Merchandise Services. His new responsibilities include replenishment, merchandise execution, small formats and supplier diversity.
- Steve Bratspies is now Exec VP of GM. He assumes responsibility for entertainment, toys, seasonal, sporting goods, automotive, hardware, paint, stationery, crafts and fabric.
- Laura Phillips was named Senior VP Entertainment.
- Scott McCall will now be Senior VP Toys, Seasonal and Celebrations.
- Carmen Bauza was named Senior VP of OTC Health and Wellness.
- Steve Breen will become Chief Merchandising Officer of Walmart Brazil.
- Ashley Buchanan was promoted to Senior VP of Snacks and Beverages.
- Scott Neal is being elevated to the role of Senior VP Produce, Meat and Seafood.
- DeDe Priest was named SVP of Deli, Bakery, Dairy and Frozen.
- Matt Kistler was named Senior VP of Dry Grocery.
- Taylor Smith was promoted to Senior VP of Merchandise Execution.
- Jane Ewing was named Senior VP Baby.
Walmart also made several changes that are reflective of new sourcing initiatives.in addition to the merchandising moves:
- Michelle Gloeckler was given new responsibility for a sourcing organization that will focus on U.S. sourcing and manufacturing. She will maintain her current responsibilities as Senior VP Home.
- Greg Hall was named VP of U.S. Sourcing and Manufacturing.
Dollar General indicated that its store base has grown to 10,371 units as the company has opened 479 stores so far this year and is on track to open approximately 625 stores followed by 635 new units next year.
Five Below has increased its planned store expansion for fiscal 2013 from 50 to 60 new store locations.