DATATRAC: Drug Stores and HBC Chains – April 2016
• Massage Envy LLC announced the appointment of Beth Stiller as its new Chief Commercial Officer.
• Rite Aid Corporation announced its fiscal 2016 year-end revenue exceeded $30 billion, for first time ever.
Mergers and Acquisitions
• American Associated Pharmacies announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire the assets of Partners in Pharmacy Cooperative, an independent pharmacy cooperative with more than 300 members in 19 states.
• CVS Health is partnering with in-store pickup specialist Curbside to launch CVS Express. Through the CVS Pharmacy app, customers can make mobile, in-app purchases from their local CVS outlet and have those products delivered directly to them when they pull up to the store, all in about one hour. CVS Express is currently available in San Francisco, Charlotte, North Carolina, and Atlanta, and will begin rolling out to additional stores later this year.
• Humana has opened its second retail pharmacy in Texas. The retail pharmacies are intended to serve Humana’s Medicare Advantage customers and its commercial health plan customers. Humana has been opening its pharmacies in states where it has the most Medicare Advantage customers. In Florida, the company has opened four such pharmacies.
• Hy-Vee Inc. announced its pharmacies can now provide pet-specific medications such as flea and tick and heartworm drugs.
• Medicine Shoppe announced a partnership with Quality Foods, a Canadian grocery chain, to open retail pharmacies within the grocery stores.
• Meijer Inc. recently announced it will join forces with the Medical College of Wisconsin health network to open in-store clinics at the Waukesha and Sussex Meijer stores, and the Sparrow Health System in Lansing, MI, to open similar clinics at Meijer stores in the Lansing area.
• Walgreens Boots Alliance has signed an agreement with SSM Health to allow the company to own and operate 27 retail health clinics within Walgreens stores across the St. Louis region. The clinics will transition to SSM Health this fall, at which time the clinics will become an extension of the SSM Health Medical Group.
• CVS Health is bringing its new CVS Pharmacy y más to the greater Los Angeles market. Nine new stores that will open through August will have the format.