DATATRAC: Grocery, Supermarket & Convenience Stores – June 2016
• Buehler’s Fresh Foods announced the hiring of Michael Davidson as VP Store Operations.
• Coborn’s announced the hiring of Jim Shaw as CFO; Mr. Shaw replaces Tom Velin.
• Fairway announced the departure of Co-President and CFO, Edward Arditte on July 5th, 2016; no replacement has been announced at this time.
• Giant Eagle announced the retirement of John Lucot President and COO; they also announced CEO Laura Karet will become COO.
• Kroger announced that Russ Dispense President of the King Soopers division will retire on July 1st, 2016; no replacement was announced at this time.
• Smart & Final announced the hiring of Edward Wong CIO and Senior VP of Supply Chain.
• Stark & Van Til announced the promotion of Jeff Strack to President and CEO while continuing his role continue as Chief Marketing Officer.
• Weis Markets announced the promotions of Wayne Bailey to Senior VP of Logistics and Supply Chain and Bob Cline to VP of Talent Development and Associate Relations.
• Amazon has paired with Sprouts Farmers Market to deliver grocery in Dallas, TX. Customers will be able shop for items from Sprouts Farmers Market through the Prime Now app and website.
• Casey’s General Stores plans to open or acquire 77 to 116 locations, replace 35 existing locations and have 100 major remodels completed in fiscal year 2017.
• Harps Food Stores is planning to acquire nine Walmart Express properties that closed earlier this year. The properties are located in Arkansas and Missouri.
• M&M Meat Shops has changed the company’s store name to M&M Food Market as part of a total brand reinvention. With the name change, comes a new store experience with many added features.
• Whole Foods has opened the first 365 by Whole Foods Market in Los Angeles, CA. The new location is in the Silver Lake neighborhood, measuring 29,000 square feet. Whole Foods also announced the start of “My 365 Rewards”, a digital loyalty program.
• Casey’s General Stores announced total sales of $7.12 billion for FYE 4/30/2016.