DATATRAC: Apparel Specialty Stores and Department Stores – July 2016
• Belk Inc. named Randy Whitaker as Exec VP, Chief Stores Officer and Ron Garrow as Exec VP, Chief People Officer. The company announced Tim Belk, CEO, is retiring. Lisa Harper, who previously served as CEO of Hot Topic, will succeed him.
• Burberry USA announced John Smith, COO, is stepping down. The company named Marco Gobbetti as its new CEO, replacing Christopher Bailey who will stay on as President and Chief Creative officer.
• Coach Inc. announced Jane Hamilton Nielsen, CFO, would be departing the company. Victor Luis, CEO, will assume the position of interim CFO. Coach Inc. recently named Wendy Kahn as Chief Executive and Brand President of the Stuart Weitzman business.
• Lands’ End Inc. promoted Becky Gebhardt to Exec VP and Chief Marketing Officer. The company also announced Mike Zhang recently joined as VP, E-commerce, Digital Marketing and Innovation. In this role, he will work closely with Mike Holahan, who was promoted to Senior VP, Multi-Channel Marketing. Lands’ End Inc. is also expanding the role of Angie Rieger to Senior VP of Inventory Management and Planning.
• Life is Good has appointed Lisa Tanzer as its new President.
• Macy’s Inc. announced its CEO Terry Lundgren will be stepping down in the first quarter of 2017. The company’s current President Jeff Gennette will take over at that time.
• Michael Kors Holdings Limited announced the promotion of Philippa Newman to Brand President, Accessories and Footwear, and Michelle Chan to President, Women’s Ready to Wear.
• Nike Inc. announced that its co-founder and Chairman Phil Knight has retired from its board and CEO Mark Parker has been named the new Chairman.
• Ralph Lauren Corporation announced Jeffrey Kuster has been named Group President for the Americas. The company also named Bill Campbell Corporate Senior VP of Global Supply Chain and Inventory Management, effective Oct. 1, 2016.
• Neiman Marcus Group shared that it is searching for a buyer or investor.
Mergers and Acquisitions
• Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. will acquire The Sports Authority Inc., including 31 of its store locations.
• Jones New York says it now plans to close all 37 of its stores across Canada and seek creditor protection.
• Nordstrom Inc. plans to close the dedicated Trunk Club fulfillment center located on Goose Island in Chicago, IL. The closure will impact about 250 employees.
• UNIQLO has announced expansion plans into Canada with two new locations in Toronto at the Eaton Centre and the Yorkdale mall.
• Cabela’s Inc. announced plans to expand to open two new stores, including its first-ever location in New Mexico. The company will open a 70,000 sq. ft. store at Legacy at Journal Center, in Albuquerque, NM, and a 90,000 sq. ft. store in Chesterfield Township, MI, both in 2017.
• Nordstrom Inc. announced plans to shutter its location at Horton Plaza, in downtown San Diego. The store, which opened in 1985, will remain open through August 26, 2016.