DATATRAC: Retail and Foodservice Technology – August 2016
• Red Robin Gourmet Burgers Inc. is testing new programs including online ordering, delivery, and catering.
• Starbucks Corporation has upgraded its mobile smartphone application to include suggested selling. Personalized offers will be introduced through the company’s rewards program. Customer usage of mobile ordering and payment increased from 4 percent of total transactions to 5 percent during the company’s most recent second fiscal quarter.
• Wingstop Inc.’s announced that online orders increased to 16.9 percent of domestic sales in the company’s second quarter ended June 25th, 2016. A new integrated POS system that is in the process of a company-wide rollout has assisted in supporting the online sales growth.
• Sam’s Club’s location in Columbia, South Carolina is among the first in the chain to offer the company’s new mobile payment option.
• Walmart’s mobile payment option Walmart Pay hit a major milestone in August with 22 million customer downloads.
• Walmart acquired the fast growing e-commerce startup Jet.com for $3.3 billion.
• CVS Health launched CVS Pay, a consumer mobile payment solution, the first of its kind for the company. As part of the CVS Pharmacy mobile app, it integrates payment, ExtraCare loyalty activity, and prescription pickup during checkout.
• Walgreens is discontinuing operations of drugstore.com and Beaty.com in an effort to focus on its core online presence of Walgreens.com.
Supermarket & Convenience
• Peapod LLC, a leading online retailer of groceries owned by Ahold-Delhaize, began offering its Farm Box community-supported agriculture program on Long Island, NY.
• Shipt, a leading online grocery ordering and delivery service, has secured $20.1 million in funding.