DATATRAC: Discount and Specialty Stores – September 2016
• Jo-Ann Stores Inc. announced it has appointed Bryan Pugh to the newly created position of Exec VP, Stores and Store Operations.
• Michaels Stores Inc. named Denise Paulonis as CFO. She will succeed Charles Sonsteby, who previously announced his resignation. Mr. Sonsteby will remain Vice Chairman.
• Office Depot Inc. announced that Roland Smith plans to retire as CEO of the company by the end of the first quarter of 2017. The company also named Rob Koch to the newly-created position of Exec VP, Business Development, where he will continue to oversee the company’s real estate operations.
• ShopKo Stores Operating Co. LLC announced that Exec VP of Retail Andre Persaud has left the company.
• Target Corporation announced Jeff Jones, Exec VP and Chief Marketing Officer, has left the company.
• Toys “R” Us Inc. announced the appointment of Melanie Teed-Murch as President, Canada. She replaces Kevin Macnab who was promoted to Exec VP.
• Walmart Stores Inc. announced it is eliminating about 7,000 back-office positions at its U.S. stores, with the majority of the cuts in the accounting and invoicing areas.
• Amazon.com Inc. plans to renovate a site in Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood into a 9,750 sq. ft. retail space where shoppers can pick up groceries that they ordered online.
• Amazon.com Inc. has confirmed plans for its fourth Amazon Books physical location. The retailer will open a 7,200 sq. ft. store in Chicago, IL.
• Amazon.com Inc. plans to open dozens of pop-up stores in malls across the nation. The temporary stores, whose total could reach 100 next year, will showcase and sell the company’s devices. There are currently 21 pop-ups in 12 states.
• Toys “R” Us Inc. has entered into an exclusive multi-year partnership with Mattel’s American Girl division to feature American Girl in-store shops. Toys “R” Us will debut American Girl in-store shops in late October in 97 locations across the country.
• Amazon.com Inc.has announced plans to add an 850,000 sq. ft. huge distribution center in the Chicago suburb of Monee, IL, and a 1-million sq. ft. fulfillment center in Coppell, TX.
• Dollar General Corp. is moving into North Dakota, announcing that it has begun construction on five new stores in the state. This marks the 44th state for the retailer.
• Five Below Inc. will open its first store in the state of Minnesota this month and will also be opening two other Minnesota locations next month.
• Petco Animal Supplies Inc. announced it will open 13 stores in September, along with one relocation. The company will convert 31 existing Unleashed by Petco locations, primarily in Colorado, Georgia and Texas, to smaller format Petco stores. Following the transition, the retailer will operate 85 Unleashed by Petco locations.