DATATRAC: Drug Stores and HBC Chains – September 2016
• AmerisourceBergen Corporation announced Jerry Cline, its VP Strategic Accounts, is retiring.
• Fred’s Inc. announced that it had promoted its VP Pharmacy Services, Timothy Liebmann, to the newly created position of COO Pharmacy. Liebmann will be succeeding the company’s retiring Exec VP Pharmacy Operations, Rick Chambers. The company also announced that COO Michael Bloom will soon be promoted to CEO. Mr. Bloom will succeed Jerry Shore, who intends to retire in February 2017.
• Perfumania announced the appointment of Neal Montany as COO of the company.
• ShopKo Stores Operating Co. LLC announced that Exec VP of Retail Andre Persaud has left the company.
• The National Association of Chain Drug Stores promoted Thomas O’Donnell to Senior VP Government Affairs and Public Policy.
Mergers and Acquisitions
• Shoppers Drug Mart announced that it will be acquiring Kelowna, BC-based healthcare technology company QHR.
• Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. has formed a strategic alliance with Prime Therapeutics that will combine the companies’ specialty and mail-order pharmacy businesses.
• A new joint venture between RediClinic and Hackensack Meridian Health is bringing co-branded community care clinics to Rite Aid stores in New Jersey. Thru the joint venture, 10 Hackensack Merdian Health RediClinics will open at Rite Aid locations in Middlesex, Monmouth, and Ocean counties, the first of which will open later this year.
• The Body Shop Inc. announced it is opening its first store in South America, in Chile.
• Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance, Inc. plans to bring 500 new jobs to the Dallas, TX area by 2018 when it opens its new distribution center in southwest Dallas.
• Bartell Drugs opened a new location in Seattle’s Chinatown-International District on Sept. 17. The 11,656 sq. ft. store is the company’s 65th store. The retailer plans to open its 66th location in Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood in October.
• Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. has become the first chain retailer to integrate its loyalty rewards program, Walgreens Balance Rewards, through Android Pay.