DATATRAC: Retail and Foodservice Technology – October 2016
• Chipotle Mexican Grill is partnering with Google’s parent company Alphabet Inc. to use drones for food delivery on the Virginia Tech campus.
• Genghis Grill has reported a data-breach at four Dallas-area locations.
• Orange Leaf, a frozen yogurt chain, is testing drone delivery to the campus of Hope College through franchisee Jeremy Latchaw, who also owns a Mishigami Group, a local drone dealership.
• TGI Fridays is rolling out a chatbot on Facebook Messenger to answer customer questions and offer reservation capabilities at select restaurants.
Supermarket & Convenience
• Albertsons is using MyWebGrocer’s platform to enable click-and-collect and delivery at its Acme Market, Jewel-Osco, Shaw’s, Star Market, and United Supermarkets banners.
• IGA is launching online shopping capabilities through its IGA GO ecommerce solution in a partnership with technology providers Digital Foodie and Freshop.
• Natural Grocers is enabling customers to order Thanksgiving turkeys online for store pickup with new functionality at its ecommerce site.
• Shell is rolling out an iPad-based POS system at select locations.
• Best Buy has engaged Chase in a multi-year agreement that enables the electronics chain to accept Chase Pay in its stores and on the retailer’s online ecommerce sites.
• Walmart has expanded its payment partnership with Chase.
• Kohl’s Corp. is launching Kohl’s Pay, the company’s own mobile payments application.
• Walgreens has launched a ship to store program that enables online orders to be shipped free of charge to a Walgreens or Duane Reade store.