DATATRAC: Discount and Specialty Stores – January 2017
• Dollar Tree Stores Inc. announced it has appointed former Walmart Chief Merchandising Officer Duncan Mac Naughton as President and COO of Family Dollar, and promoted Gary Philbin to the role of Enterprise President.
• Shindigz announced that Dan Haight has joined the company as CEO.
• Staples Inc. announced it has promoted Faisal Masud to the newly created role of Chief Technology Officer.
• Walmart Stores Inc. announced Rosalind Brewer plans to retire as Exec VP, President and CEO of Sam’s Club, effective Feb. 1, 2017. She will be succeeded by John Furner. The retailer also announced Karenann Terrell will step down as CIO of on February 24.
• Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is planning a major round of job layoffs by the end of this month. The company will eliminate positions at its headquarters and among regional personnel that support stores.
Mergers and Acquisitions
• Jet.com, which was recently purchased by Walmart Stores Inc., has acquired online footwear retailer ShoeBuy.
• Party City Holdco Inc. continues to acquire its franchised locations. The company will acquire a master franchise group representing 18 franchise stores in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida.
• Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. is testing a new membership program. Shoppers would pay a $29 annual membership fee in exchange for perks such as free shipping on all orders and 20% off their purchases.
• Big Lots Stores Inc. has announced plans to introduce a new and more “whimsical” in-store experience. The new stores will focus on two key elements, furniture and seasonal items situated at the front of the store.
• Office Depot Inc. announced it has completed the sale of its European business.
• Staples Inc. has ended its relationship with the U.S. Postal Service. The retailer will no longer offer priority mail and parcel shipping.
• Amazon.com Inc. announced it will open a new Amazon Books store in Manhattan’s Shops at Columbus Circle. The company also plans to open book stores in Chicago and the Boston area this year.
• Best Buy Co. Inc. recently opened five outlet locations dedicated to major appliances. The outlet stores are located in San Antonio and Famers Branch, TX, Raleigh, NC, Newark, DE, and Moreno Valley, CA.
• BJ’s Wholesale Club Inc. announced it will open its first store in South Carolina in the spring. The new BJ’s Wholesale Club will be located in Summerville.
• Century 21 Department Stores Inc. opened its first store in the state of Florida. The 85,000 sq. ft. location is at Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise. Century 21 is also planning to open new stores in Yonkers, NY, and East Rutherford, NJ this year.
• Kmart Corp. announced it plans to close an additional 78 Kmart stores.