DATATRAC: Drug Stores and HBC Chains – April 2017
• The Bartell Drug Company announced Brian Unmacht resigned as CEO.
• CVS Health announced that current Exec VP and General Counsel Thomas M. Moriarty has been appointed to the newly created role of Chief Policy and External Affairs Officer. The retailer also announced Alex Perez-Tenessa, VP Merchandising Manager of Beauty and Personal Care, is leaving the company.
• Diplomat Pharmacy has named Atul Kavthekar as its new CFO and Treasurer, effective May 1. The company also announced Jennifer Cretu has been promoted to Senior VP Pharma Services and Marketing.
• Quick Chek Food Stores announced John Schaninger, VP Sales and Marketing, left the company and has been replaced by Rob Easley.
• Walgreens Boots Alliance’s retail pharmacy USA division announced second quarter sales of $21.8 billion, an increase of 1.5% over the year-ago quarter.
Mergers and Acquisitions
• McKesson Corp. completed its acquisition of CoverMyMeds, a health care technology company.
• McKesson Canada announced it will acquire Uniprix.
• The Bartell Drug Company introduced a specialty pharmacy service at all of its 65 locations.
• CVS Health will soon sell new and exclusive beauty brands in its stores. The brands include K-Beauty HQ, Mineral Fusion, Tigi Cosmetics, Vinylux and Wunderbrow.
• Publix Super Markets Inc. announced a deal with BayCare Health System. BayCare-branded telehealth sites will be established in various Publix locations in Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas and Polk counties, while Publix will acquire and operate retail pharmacies in BayCare hospitals.
• Shoppers Drug Mart Corporation has unveiled its first Enhanced Convenience Food section in stores. The improved offering includes approximately 750 new fresh items.
• The Hammer & Nails Salon Group, LLC will soon open its first 50 franchised locations in Texas.
• Pharmasave Drugs (National) Ltd. announced it has opened its 600th store.
• Sephora USA Inc. has remodeled two of its high-profile Manhattan locations to its new “Beauty Tip” (Teach, Inspire, Play) store format. The locations include the 11,300 sq. ft. store on 34th Street, as well as its 9,000 sq. ft. Fifth Avenue location.
• Thrifty White Drug Stores Inc. announced it has opened a new pharmacy in Grand Rapids, MI.
• Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance, Inc. is deploying a color-recognition chatbot through its partnership with hair color brand Madison Reed. Called Madi, it combines artificial intelligence and selfies to engage in-store shoppers.